Almonds; a key ingredient to all our granolas and a much-loved, delicious nut.
Almonds are one of the most popular nuts and a well known source of protein, however few people know the full extent of their health benefits.
As February is heart health month, it’s the perfect opportunity to highlight the proven benefits of almonds for heart health, alongside their many other benefits.
Almonds are believed to protect the heart in several ways. Various studies have linked eating almonds to an increase of antioxidants in your bloodstream. This boost in antioxidants can lead to lower blood pressure, better blood circulation, and overall improved heart health.
Almonds have been shown to act as an efficient prebiotic, and in some cases are even more effective than commercially used prebiotics. This means they are a great source of food for the beneficial bacteria in our gut subsequently linked to our immune system and mental health.
Due to their high level of magnesium, eating almonds can regulate and stabilize your blood sugar, making them a fantastic option for people with diabetes.
A recent study showed eating almonds led to increased Vitamin E in your bloodstream. This causes antioxidants to form, which protects the cells from toxicity and reduces your risk of developing cholesterol.
Almonds have many benefits to your skin and are a popular choice in skincare products as they are a great source of flavonoids, a powerful antioxidant known for its anti-aging and skin protecting qualities.
Quick and Easy Roast Almond Recipe
If you're now sold on the health benefits of almonds and want to incorporate them into your diet, here’s a quick and easy recipe for roast almonds; the perfect keto on-the-go snack!
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Spread your almonds evenly onto a baking tray. Add olive oil or coconut oil and a sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 15 minutes and then tip into a bowl
- Add a knob of butter and paprika (you can add any flavour here - rosemary is also delicious!)
- Put the nuts back on the tray and roast for a further 2 minutes to get the toppings to coat into the almonds.
- Cool and store in an airtight container and enjoy!