Lemon and poppy seed cake is one of my ultimate weaknesses, this would always be my top choice in a coffee shop and at our bakery. So when I turned keto, finding a delicious ketogenic alternative was an absolute must. I’ve made different variations but this one is my favourite and so easy to make – no faffing! When I make it no one else in my family gets a bite – hopefully you are much more restrained then I am when it comes to this cake…
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
Slices: 8-10 Prep time: 10 minutes Baking time: 20 minutes
100g organic grass fed butter
3 organic eggs
½ cup organic coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 organic lemon zest plus juice
5 tsp powdered erythritol
1 tsp organic poppy seed
- Grab a large mixed bowl and combine the coconut flour, baking powder and erythritol.
- Add the juice of one lemon and its zest (be careful when grating the zest –I’ve grated my hand with it a few times!)
- Add the eggs to the dry ingredients incorporating thoroughly. (you can use a hand whisk if you prefer but it’s not essential) Mix until the mixture becomes fluffy-esk.
- Melt the butter in a pan, once melted add it to the bowl slowly whilst mixing.
- Add your desired amount of poppy seeds and mix.
- Grease an oblong loaf tin with butter, add the mixture and place in a 160 degree oven for 20 minutes. (always pre heat your oven to the right temperature before using)
- Tip: Half way through the time turn the loaf tin around in the oven to ensure an even bake.
- If you can resist – allow to cool before eating!